Section XXI — Wellness Policy
Frontenac Public Schools USD 249 is committed to providing school environments that promote and protect children’s health, well-being and ability to learn by supporting healthy eating and physical activity. Therefore, it is the policy of Frontenac Public Schools USD 249 that:
- Wellness guidelines will be implemented as specified in the Kansas State Department of Education’s Wellness Policy Report for each school level.
- Students, parents, teachers, food service professionals, health professionals and other interested community members will be engaged in developing, implementing, monitoring and reviewing district-wide nutrition and physical activity policies.
- All students in grades K-12 will have opportunities, support and encouragement to be physically active on a regular basis.
- Foods and beverages sold or served at school will meet the nutrition recommendations of the U.S. Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- Qualified child nutrition professionals will provide students with access to a variety of affordable, nutritious, and appealing foods that meet the health and nutrition needs of students.
- Students will be provided with adequate time to eat in settings that are clean, safe, and pleasant.
- To the maximum extent practicable, all schools in our district will participate in available federal school nutrition programs.
- Schools will provide nutrition education and physical education to foster lifelong habits of healthy eating and physical activity, and will establish linkages between health education, school nutrition programs and related community services.